Tuesday, March 27, 2012

If The Gloves Don't Fit You Must Acquit

Quite a year in terms of breaking news in the court room. O.J. Simpson was found innocent on two counts of murder involving his wife Nicole and her friend Ronald Goldman in October of 1995. Simpson's ordeal was considered to be the "trial of the century" by most in the media due to the massive publicity endured. Perhaps the most memorable piece of the trial was the leather glove O.J. was asked to try on. When it became obvious that the glove didn't fit, Simpson's defense attorney Johnny Cochran coined the phrase "if it doesn't fit you must acquit." Essentially Cochran was able to convince the jury that there was reasonable doubt in terms of the DNA evidence as well as misconduct in regards to handling the Juice's celebrity status.


1995 also marked the Oklahoma City Bombing incident. Timothy McVeigh and his accomplice Terry Nichols killed 168 people in all after they chose to bomb the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in OKC. At this point in American history, the Oklahoma City Bombing became the biggest criminal investigation ever. McVeigh had various issues with the federal government and ended up driving an explosive filled Ryder truck into the building to show his displeasure.


I remember my kitchen table being loaded with tabloids concerning these two key issues. Anything from the Sun Times to the National Enquirer telling each one of their compelling stories. I also think this is really the first time I watched the news on a regular basis. My parents both followed each of these cases so I suppose as an attempt to act old for my age i tried to follow suit. Although I probably didn't understand the ramifications of either situation, I'm surprised that I took interest in the subject matter. Whatever the case may be, there is no question that both of these incidents will forever hold a place in American history.

2 comments:

  1. A few months ago was the first time I ever watched the police chase of OJ. It was crazy. But also interesting how I never knew anything about the chase until then. I also know very little of the Oklahoma City bombing. Those who are older will find this hard to believe, just as I assume those in our generation won't be able to understand how those 5-15 years younger than us will not remember much about 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OJ and McVeigh, those are two names I'll never forget. I wasn't really caught up in the whole OJ thing as a kid, but people seem as obssed about it today more then ever. McVeigh is the guy I remember most, probably because basically anytime you ever saw him, he was wearing the bright orange prison suit (that bright of an orange kind of stands out.) I also think it's funny that OJ's case is still talked about today, but not the Oklahoma City Bombing. It really shows how celebrity crazed we are as a country.

    ReplyDelete